Friday, November 5, 2010

Day #31: Guelph, Ontario

Today has been soooo long. I have never done so much traveling all at once. I got up at 8:30am this morning, showered, packed my bags, and left with Jen. We ran some errands before she dropped me off, gas, lighting store, pet store, mall, etc. She packed me an adorable lunch with a soda, ritz with cheese, m&m's, and best of all, a turkey sandwich with goat cheese on it. We had it last night on the salad and I loved it.

The ride from Syracuse to Buffalo wasn't too bad. When we got to Peace Bridge we had to go through customs, which took like 45 minutes. The lady asked me a million and one questions, but I wasn't nearly as worried as I was when I was pulled aside in Israel to speak to customs on behalf of the entire group. Surprisingly, they didn't check my bags at all. They pretty much just asked me if I had anything that I shouldn't and just took my word for it. I guess that's how drug trafficking is so easy. I wonder if it will be any harder to get back into the U.S.

Simply being in Canada is pretty exciting. A good part of the trip I had nice views of Lake Ontario. When we were driving through Toronto I thought it looked just like NYC. I will probably be going there with Vicki (my couchsurfer) and her boyfriend tomorrow. It's only about an hour away. Anyway though, when I got into Toronto, I saw my 6:30 Greyhound bus driving off, so I had to wait until 8pm for the next one. I met up with Vicki down the street. She lives very close to the University of Guelph, one of the school's I've been considering for MFT. I couldn't see much at night, but it appeared to be a nice campus. I'll be checking it out thoroughly on Sunday before I leave.

Vicki is really cool. She is finishing up graduate school here and she's studying all this molecular craziness that I don't even want to try to understand. She's obviously very smart. Plus she has 2 cats here that are so adorable and make me feel right at home. Their names are Tinkerbell and Libby, both females. She set me up on the couch with a pillow and blankets, and towels for showering. She's letting me use her laptop and invited me to take anything I wanted from the kitchen. She actually took the time to sit down with me and chat so we could get to know each other. Plus she asked off work for this weekend cause she knew I was coming. It's great to meet a couch surfer who really knows what it's all about. I will definitely be paying this one forward.

Tomorrow we're going to a fair in Toronto. Vicki said there's all kinds of cool stuff that will be going on there. There's even gonna be butter carving! That should be interesting lol. I'm off to bed for now though. I don't think I could last another minute being awake. Goodnight.

1 comment:

  1. aw what a great hostess. i'm glad you made it through your long travels to canada.

    ReplyDelete